27 September 2011

Superior Interiors?

I was quite excited earlier when I spotted that a new interior make-over programme was beginning today. It was called "Superior Interiors" and the premise was that Kelly Hoppen was travelling the country, working with families in order to improve a room in their houses. Tonight's episode featured a family who wanted to convert their garage into a 'chill-out' family room. I cringed at the beginning when Vince, the guy who owned the house expressed his love of the mafia and all things Italian American - his dream was to have a bar area in part of the room. I really don't ever understand people's desires to have bars in their houses? Do you? Do you have one? Am I missing something?

Anyway, the finished room was actually very tasteful. Well, what else would you really expect from Kelly Hoppen?! She managed to give them the bar area that the family so desired by 'diluting' it into a moveable console with the aim of storing it against the wall and then pulling it out into the room when the family were entertaining. She also gave the nod to the mafia theme by adding red accessories to an otherwise monochrome scheme, and incorporated black and white pictures of Little Italy that had been taken by the father.



All images from here.

I'll definitely try and catch next week's show, although I'll probably record it so I can whiz through the slower parts of the show. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, but for me the most interesting part of a show like this is to see what the room is like before work begins, how the design scheme came together, and then what the room looks like when it's been completed. I also like to be able to fast-forward through the three long ad breaks that come with an hour long programme on Channel 5!

I'm also very excited tonight, as we've finally managed to book a carpenter who's going to begin work on transforming the bannisters and handrail on our landing tomorrow! 

1 comment:

Bristol Parenting Cafe said...

Ohhh I think I'm almost as excited as you about the bannister change, can't wait to see the 'after' photos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...